Monday, June 20, 2011

Contemporary Painting: Elizabeth Schuppe

We haven't talked about art at all yet. But it's only been two months. There's a lot left to get into.

'Rather than creating a recognizable object, I use the elements of painting itself to allow the story to unfold. There is no plan in my painting, yet there is process. I let a color, a line, a shadow dictate what comes next. My best works are the ones that just happen, when I allow myself to be surprised.'
-Elizabeth Schuppe

It's a beautiful description of the creative act. And one I think you can see suspended in the paintings below. I had bumped into these a few days ago, and couldn't stop looking and thinking about them over the weekend. I love the colors. They feel very contemporary, don't they. The latent presence of the act of making. The different ways the paint is applied which gives them a kind of implicit motion texture. How they each seem like a world onto themselves. And how they remind me of de Kooning, Pollock, and Rothko all at once. Even I see Miro in one.

Thomas-Michael





Design And Lifestyle New York Colorful Abstract Modern Contemporary Art
elizabethschuppe.com

Contemporary Painting, Elizabeth Schuppe, Untitled IV, Acrylic On Canvas, 44"x48", 2008. If you've been following the blog at all, you know I like everything white. This is really soft, tonal, and beautiful.






Design And Lifestyle New York Colorful Abstract Modern Contemporary Art
elizabethschuppe.com

Contemporary Painting, Elizabeth Schuppe, Softly In The Grass, Acrylic On Canvas, 2005. This is the one which reminds me of Miro. It's very mysterious I think.






Design And Lifestyle New York Colorful Abstract Modern Contemporary Art
elizabethschuppe.com

Contemporary Painting, Elizabeth Schuppe, Hard Hearted, Acrylic On Canvas, 44"x46", 2009. I love the mixture of painting and drawing in this one. The drawing at times seems to act like a cage through which the painting is seen. It also has so much velocity and seems to be rotating around the center. Though is still an all over.






Design And Lifestyle New York Colorful Abstract Modern Contemporary Art
elizabethschuppe.com

Contemporary Painting, Elizabeth Schuppe, Pearls On Five, Acrylic On Canvas, 65"x70", 2009. And lastly, this one is really beautiful. Makes me think abstract impressionist. Not sure that's an used term. But it's what comes to mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment